With the introduction of the Premium Membership in 2016, one of our premium members talk about their successes working with the CCCA
The Wesley is recognised as the First Ethical Hotel in the UK and is located near Euston. It has become established as one of central London’s fastest emerging independent hospitality and accommodation brands, since its rebranding in May 2013. Building on a rich Methodist heritage dating back to 1950 and beyond, TheWesley attracts guests from around the United Kingdom and the world, for their accommodation, event and conference requirements.
Key achievements and activities
- The Wesley are undertaking: Awards and credentials
- Camden Climate Change Alliance Carbon Champion in 2016
- Green Tourism Award since 2012
- Social Enterprise Mark since 2010 (the only hotel or conference centre in the UK to receive this award)
- Working with Investor in People since 2008 (obtained Gold Investor in People in December 2015)
- Sustainable Restaurant Association Food Made Good Accredited in 2015/16.
Staff engagement and management
- A green team meeting on a monthly basis and create awareness
- Buy-in from senior staff and a sustainable ethos that runs throughout the organisation encouraging new ideas to be put forward
- SO14001 accredited since 2012 after working on the programme since 2010 with aim to transition to the new standard.
Water and waste
- Utilising different cleaning methods that are not
- based to achieve the same result
- No food waste to landfill since 2012.
Energy and Carbon Footprint reductions
- Reductions over the last seven years in carbon footprint by turnover, by employee and by customer, showing that the building and the business is now run more sustainably and efficiently
- They source energy (electricity and gas) from 100% renewable resources.
“TheWesley has worked with the CCCA since 2008 on the creation of a new Environmental Policy, setting targets and putting standards and systems in place. We have continued to collaborate ever since and this has helped us to go from strength to strength. Since 2008 The Wesley has reduced their carbon footprint by 21% despite now being busier than ever with customers which has meant eliminating 116 tonnes of CO2 emissions annually. One of the benefits of being a member of the Alliance is to meet other companies and organisations from the borough and find out about their best practices and achievements. This is particularly helpful when it includes different sectors, both public and private. It is also positive to receive recognition such as the Carbon Champion award, as it provides a benchmark that we are on the right track.”
James Barr, Head of Projects – The Wesley
Contact James for more information on: email@example.com or visit TheWesley website www.thewesley.co.uk/en