Climate Change Conference of Parties (COP26)
The UK will host the 26th UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26) in Glasgow on 31 October 2021 – 12 November 2021. COP has four goals:
- accelerate the phase-out of coal
- curtail deforestation
- speed up the switch to electric vehicles
- encourage investment in renewables
- protect and restore ecosystems
- build defences, warning systems and resilient infrastructure and agriculture to avoid loss of homes, livelihoods and even lives
- To deliver on the first two goals, developed countries must make good on their promise to mobilise at least $100bn in climate finance per year by 2020.
- International financial institutions must play their part and we need work towards unleashing the trillions in private and public sector finance required to secure global net zero.
- finalise the Paris Rulebook (the detailed rules that make the Paris Agreement operational)
- accelerate action to tackle the climate crisis through collaboration between governments, businesses and civil society.
CCCA are working with a number of organisations in the borough on activities for COP26:
- Thursday 7th October – Walk to COP26, launch from Think & Do. More information: Walk2COP
- Wednesday 3rd November – School Climate Charter Launch. REGISTER NOW
- Wednesday 3rd November – Camden COP26 Celebration Event, Samsung, Kings Cross. REGISTER NOW
- Thursday 11th November – COPExplained Webinar in collaboration with Knowledge Quarter (TBC)