Dear business owner,
We are writing to you from Camden Council to express our support for businesses in Camden and to recognise the unprecedented pressures you are under – as employers, as tenants, as ratepayers and as members of our community. Camden, in our position at the heart of London, is facing particular challenges. We would like to thank all the businesses who are stepping up to help the community and support your employees – by providing them with sick pay, allowing them to work from home as far as possible, and giving them leave to care for relatives and family members.
We welcome all you are doing to cooperate with national advice to limit the spread of infection and ensure the most vulnerable are protected. We ask that you continue to follow advice and require your employees and partners to do the same. If your business is a shop, we particularly urge you to make sure that your staff and customers are practising social distancing – keeping two metres between people.
At Camden Council, we are doing the following:
- If you’re struggling to pay your business rates, please call us so that we can discuss alternative options with you on 020 7974 6460.
- Retail, hospitality and leisure businesses, and private nurseries, will automatically get a 12-month business rates holiday starting now.
- We are waiting for further guidance on the cash grants referenced by the government for small businesses. As soon as we know more we will write again to eligible businesses.
- We are speaking with our Business Board and the Federation of Small Businesses about the support they need and will update you as soon as we can
- We are contacting our commercial tenants and we will provide support to those facing difficulties in paying their rent.
In addition to the above, the government has announced a number of measures to support local businesses and people across the country.
We expect further announcements from the government so please check camden.gov.uk/coronavirus for the most up to date information, guidance and support. Please also share this link with your employees. If you do not have access to the internet, please call 020 7974 4444 (option 9).
COVID-19 is going to bring us all new challenges, and we will all need to work collectively to tackle them. We want to ensure that the voice of Camden business is represented to the government, and so we would be really grateful for your stories about how this challenge is affecting you, your staff and your community, so we can effectively lobby the government and reflect on what support we can provide. We want to hear from you about what you need in the short and long term so please let us know your thoughts by completing the survey at camden.gov.uk/coronavirus. You can also sign up for email updates at that address to keep updated.
Please read the full letter (dated 23rd March 2020) and more information on support here: Letter to business 200323