The Climate Change Committee’s annual assessment of UK progress in reducing emissions found that lockdown measures led to a record decrease in UK emissions in 2020 of 13% from the previous year.
The report released on 24 June 2021 found that to sustain reductions in emissions, Government leadership, underpinned by a strong Net Zero Strategy is required:
- A Net Zero Test would ensure that all Government policy, including planning decisions, is compatible with UK climate targets.
- An ambitious Heat and Buildings Strategy, that works for consumers, is urgently needed.
- Delayed plans on surface transport, aviation, hydrogen, biomass and food must be delivered.
- Plans for the power sector, industrial decarbonisation, the North Sea, peat and energy from waste must be strengthened.
- The big cross-cutting challenges of public engagement, fair funding and local delivery must be tackled.
Watch the Progress Report to Parliament Launch Event on YouTube here