The Committee on Climate Change sets out six key principles to rebuild the nation following the COVID-19 pandemic whilst delivering a stronger, cleaner and more resilient economy. Reducing greenhouse gas emissions and adapting to climate change are integral to the UK’s recovery package, the Committee says. These are:
- Use climate investments to support economic recovery and jobs
- Lead a shift towards positive, long-term behaviours
- Tackle the wider ‘resilience deficit’ on climate change
- Embed fairness as a core principle
- Ensure the recovery does not lock-in greenhouse gas emissions or increased risk
- Strengthen incentives to reduce emissions when considering tax changes.
Follow the link to read the full article and download the Committee’s letter detailing the steps that Governments can take as a priority, emerging from these six overarching principles: Take urgent action on six key principles for a resilient recovery